Project Opportunity 2010
Consulting, Training, and Development Services would like to inform all area veterans of Project Opportunity, a program to provide military veterans the skills to become entrepreneurs. Joe Giordano, has taken the lead and will partner with Maryland Capital Enterprises to provide free education and outreach services, technical assistance, and financing opportunities to veterans who are considering starting their own business.
The first phase will be to conduct outreach and education sessions of approximately two hours in length scheduled to be held as follows:
- Session for Somerset County will be held at the Crisfield American Legion on Tuesday August 10, 2010 from 5:30 to 7:30 PM. The Crisfield American Legion and Crisfield Chamber of Commerce will provide refreshments and the coordination to set up and plan this session was provided by the Somerset Economic Development Office
- Session for Salisbury will be held at the Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce Business Center on Wednesday August 11, 2010 from 5:30 to 7:30 PM.
- Session for Easton will be held on Wednesday August 4, 2010 from 5:30 to 7:30 PM at the DLLR Workforce Development Center on Bay Street.
These 2 hour workshops “Exploring Entrepreneurship” will include a discussion of why the individuals in attendance want to start their own small businesses, characteristics of successful entrepreneurs, and an entrepreneurship self assessment.
The second phase will consist of a one hour assessment session conducted either telephonically or in person to better determine eligibility for the 3rd phase “Entrepreneurship Workshops”.
The third phase will be to conduct an entrepreneurship workshop to a minimum of sixteen (16) veterans. These classes would total thirty three (33) hours in length (3 hours per week for an 11 week period). and include the following topics:
- Personal budget and credit
- Types of businesses and customer characteristics
- Outline of a business and marketing plan
- How to manage your business
- Marketing analysis and e-commerce
Additionally, guest speakers such as successful business owners, attorneys, accountants, insurance agents, bank representatives, and marketing specialists will provide expert guidance and insight.
The orientation sessions and follow up entrepreneurship training are only for veterans. Please bring a copy of DD Form 214, Military ID Card, or other form of acceptable ID.